how an ageing population will change the world
case study: japan's ageing population
CASE STUDY: SWITZERLAND'S AGEING POPULATION
- Describe the changes to Switzerland's population structure.
- Explain the factors responsible for this change.
- Describe the changes in old-age dependency ratio between 1990and 2010. Refer to data in your answer.
- In groups, create a mini-lesson teaching about a case study of youthful and ageing populations
- The 'lesson' should be 15 minutes long and include:
- Population pyramid of the country
- Short explanatory video
- News article
- A selection of learning activities
Explain the economic impacts of an ageing population in one or more named countries [5 marks]
A valid country should be chosen as an example [1 mark].
Award 1+1 marks for each valid economic impact, provided that it is developed by means of explanation or detail.
Possible impacts could be:
- increased dependency ratio
- potential shortage of labour
- reduced revenue from taxation
- reduced savings/investment
- increased demand on state pensions
- increased demand on services/welfare for the elderly
- increased insurance premiums
- lower economic growth
- introduction of mandatory pension schemes
- issues of younger family members having to care for the elderly.