GLOBAL trends in tourism
Describe the trends in tourist arrivals between 1996-2012.
- Read Global Tourism. Note important info.
- Read Geofile and highlight trends and patterns.
- Compare and contrast mass tourism and alternative tourism (p2)
- Create a slideshow of images illustrating each type of niche marketing tourism (p2)
- Prepare a short presentation explaining one of the 'factors driving change' from Geofile.
- Add images and examples.
- Present to the class.
patterns of tourism
Read and make notes on p 107 Study Guide
CHANGES IN SUPPLY AND DEMAND
Case study: DECLINING SEASIDE TOURISM IN BLACKPOOL, UK
In Britain the first health resorts were inland health spas, towns and villages that contained local mineral waters. Until the 19th Century coastal areas in the UK were associated with fear and repulsion, associated with smuggling, shipwrecks and invasion. The arrival of the railways in the 1830s connected coastal areas with large urban centres and they then became very popular.
Nagle, Garrett. Advanced Geography. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2000. 414-15. Print.
- Explain why seaside tourism has declined in the UK in last 100 years and the socio-economic impacts on seaside resorts.
- Access the document above
- Read, make notes on causes and consequences of the changing supply and demand of domestic tourism in Blackpool, UK.
butler's model of the development of tourist areas
- Draw the Butler model into your notes
Suggest a named place for each of the stages