Why is Switzerland prone to flooding? (relief, geology, distance from sea, altitude, snow)
why is switzerland at risk from flooding?
the river aare
- Draw a simple sketch map of the Aare river basin.
- Describe the Aare's course, naming major cities.
CAUSES AND CONSEQUENCES OF THE 2005 FLOOD IN SWITZERLAND
- Read the document.
- Highlight causes and effects using two different colours.
- Transfer these to a grid in your book, separating natural and human causes and consequences.
- Use this information to write an answer to the exam question below.
how engineering can prevent future flooding
CAUSES OF FLOODING IN MOUNTAIN AREAS
- Deforestation in ski areas
- Soil compaction on ski slopes
- Lack of coordination between environmental agencies
- Insufficient forecasting and warning
- Urbanisation of rural areas
- Bridge construction collecting debris blocking river
- Heavy rainfall
- Long periods of rain
- Saturated ground > less infiltration > more surface runoff
- High snow line > precipitation doesn't store as snow
- Steep slopes
- Impermeable rock