the battle for the arctic in nunavut, canada
- Login to EdPuzzle and watch video
- Take notes while watching the video and respond to the questions
- Summarise the social, economic, environmental and political issues at the end of the film
Climate change brings risks to greenland
- Read the article.
- Highlight issues using different colours: social, environmental, economic and political.
- Write a summary paragraph in your notes.
impact of climate change on the alpine ski industry
In the 1980s there were 10 summer ski destinations in Switzerland. In 2015 there are 2.
With reference to one or more extreme environments, discuss whether human activities can be sustainable. (10 marks)
Extreme environments are characterized by very low population densities. They are generally relatively inaccessible and tend to be viewed as inhospitable to human habitation. Despite this, they provide numerous opportunities for settlement and economic activity.
Agriculture can be sustainable, as long as the carrying capacity of the land is not exceeded. In some areas, this means migrating with herds rather than practising sedentary farming. Tourism offers some possibility for sustainable economic activity, especially in hot areas. However, water shortages may be an issue. Mineral development is unsustainable but can be used as a catalyst for economic development.
Answers should show a good understanding of sustainability.
Answers accessing markbands E/F should include located examples and a range of human activities.