Brainstorm ways that rivers can be modified to reduce the risk of flooding.
river cross section
web quest: stream management strategies in switzerland
1 - THUn
- Flood relief tunnel (Thun)
- Channel enlargement (Bern)
2 - stans, nidwalden
Flood relief channel
3 - RIver thur
Channelisation (original management strategy)
River bank excavation
River bank conservation
Mobile flood embankments
4 - altstatten in st. gallen, burgdorf in bern and wasen in emmental
Debris removal in Altstatten, St. Gallen
Bridge raising in Burgdorf, Bern
Flood embankments in Burgdorf, Bern
Channel enlargement in Burgdorf, Bern
Catchment basin dam in Altstatten, St. Gallen
Channelisation in Wasen, Emmental
- Make four groups.
- Each person in the same group watches the same video.
- Work together to complete the grid, using the video and the second sheet to help you.
- Agree on the most important information to share.
Make four new groups with mixed members
Share your management strategies with the group
Listen to the other students and complete the grid